October 11, 2012 - Day of the Girl: 10 – 11 – 12

Today is my birthday, and for several years now I realized that it was going to be a fun date to say. That's because (in the U.S.) we say the month number, then the day number, then the shortened year number, and today is 10/11/12!

(In many places, such as the U.K., it's 11/10/12. People in these places have to wait until November 10 for this most-cool of dates!)

At any rate, I am pleased to announce that the United Nations has made this day the International Day of the Girl. I can humbly deny that today was chosen in order to honor my birthday (although I must point out that I AM a girl, so maybe?).

The Day of the Girl website states 12 reasons for the day. Basically, the point is that females make a large (and increasing) part of the world, but they experience inequality every day. Making a difference in girls' lives can make a huge difference in the world.

The website claims that “girls can save the world.”

Girls face different problems in different parts of the world. For example, child marriage and female “circumcision” (mutilation) are tragic traditions in some nations, but where I live, in the U.S., these problems are thankfully almost entirely absent. However, girls here face body image problems and pressure to be “sexy” at increasingly early ages.


Also on this date:

Here are some more people in history who share my birthday:





Mathematician Lewis F. Richards's birthday



No comments:

Post a Comment