Posted on January 1, 2017
On this date in 1804, 1956, 1960, and 1993, nations emerged into independence.
The countries celebrating today are quite different. See if you can match up the nations' names to their flags, locations, earlier status before independence, and interesting feature.
Here are your choices:
9. A former German colony, after WWI it was shared between France and the United Kingdom
10. Under the control of Britain and Egypt -- but Egypt was under the control of Britain -- so, under the control of Britain!
11. A colony of France that used enslaved persons to do much of the hard work
12. Broke away from the Czechs
13. The capital lies on the borders of two other nations -- the only capital in the world to do so!
14. A land of deserts, gold and oil deposits, and mighty rivers
15. For more than a century, it was responsible for almost half of the world's supply of sugar
16. One of the wettest lands on earth, with annual rainfall of about 1,000 cm (about 400 inches)!
Haiti is 1, 6, 11, 15
Sudan is 3, 5, 10, 14
Cameroon is 4, 8, 9, 16
Slovakia is 2, 7, 12, 13
By the way - it's not part of the quiz, but the green-green hills are in Cameroon, the beautiful blue lagoon is in Haiti, the gorgeous castle is in Slovakia, and the charming camels are in Sudan.
Also on this date:
Check out my Pinterest pages on:
And here are my Pinterest boards for: