October 2 - Name Your Car Day

Posted October 2, 2019

Hmm...I don't know about this one.

I have never named one of my cars. Um...why should I? Convince me, you-who-invented-Name-Your-Car-Day folks!

Okay, first, I wasn't able to figure out who invented this "holiday" - so I will never know their arguments for why we should name our cars.

But here are some reasons others have given:

1. Most boats are given names - are cars less important or deserving? More families have cars than boats (at least in the U.S.), so why would those families NOT name their cars?

This is probably the best boat name I've ever seen!

2. Cars with names are more memorable and easier to communicate about. Case in point - when I say "Herbie the Love Bug" or "Lightning McQueen," if you have seen the movies or ads for the movie, you likely know exactly what vehicle I'm referring to with just a few words. But I have to use a few more words to mention the DeLorean time machine from Back to the Future or the Ford Falcon from Mad Max


3. Many people spend more time with and in their cars than they do with their pets or family members. And many people love their cars!




4. Naming our cars gives us a sense of control over them and makes us feel safer. Many of us don't truly understand the inner workings of our vehicles, and most of us cannot fix major problems - but having naming power helps us feel better about this powerlessness!

5. Naming cars humanizes them and can be fun! From ordinary human names like Max or Susie, to really rad human names like Axel or Celeste; from spins on the manufacturer's brand name like Corry (Corolla) or Dotty (Datsun), to adjectives or metaphors like Clunk-buddy, Green Machine, Rocket, or Ol' Red.




Hmm...there are some pretty good points here. I especially like #2, because in my family we once had four Toyotas - two Camrys and two Corollas - and it was a bit absurd that we were constantly saying things like "the white Corolla" or "the silver Camry" instead of just naming them!!

So celebrate the day by either naming a car (or two!), or, if your car is already appropriately named, giving your oh-so-human-ish car some TLC. I'm thinking a carwash and tire check?




No comments:

Post a Comment