August 17 – National Thrift Shop Day

Posted on August 17, 2017



I love to save money, of course - doesn't everybody?

But I have to admit that I'm not much of a thrift-shop shopper. I am not inclined to pick through used clothes, to see the possibilities of what an item of clothing could do for me. There is, I have to admit, a teeny bit of a squeamish reaction for me, as if "used" means "dirty."

But, then again, you have to realize that I also hate clothing shopping of ANY kind. I prefer thrift shopping for clothes to the sort of thing you see on movies - women trying on one fancy outfit after another, trying to find THE perfect dress. I mean, I really really really would hate that!

When I was getting married, I looked for the sort of dress I liked - and by "liked" I mean a peasant style, ready-made, very inexpensive. I found only one, but I tried it on and loved it. Voilà! I found my wedding dress in like 15 minutes!

So, yeah, I'm not a shopper.

Today we celebrate thrift stores, and there is a lot to celebrate. Not only do customers save money, but society and the Earth wins, too!

(1) Lots of thrift shops are run by charitable organizations. So buying from them can help children and families in need.



(2) Most of the rest of the second-hand / thrift shops are small businesses rather than chains owned by giant corporations. It's great to support local small business owners!


(3) Whatever is being sold in a thrift shop or any other second-hand store is NOT being plunked into a landfill. That whole "reuse, renew, recycle, repurpose" thing is partly based on the willingness for people to use "used" stuff!



Did you know that about 10.5 MILLION TONS of clothing is sent to landfills EVERY YEAR? 

That's...mountains of fabric!

Apparently, only about 15% of clothing is donated. We have got to get that percentage up!

About half of all donated clothing finds its way into someone's closet again, via thrift stores, and the other half is recycled - torn down into fibers that are used to make things like insulation and carpet padding and even industrial rags.(Check out this article for more on all of that.)

Celebrate the day by donating clothes, by visiting a thrift shop, and by promising yourself you will do your part to keep stuff out of landfills.



No comments:

Post a Comment