Posted on August 11, 2016
According to Wikipedia, it IS #1 in shoppers – with more than 40 MILLION visitors every year, the Mall of America has more shoppers than any other mall in the world.
Located in Minnesota, the MofA attracts most visitors from nearby states and Canada. It first opened its doors on this date in 1992. It's called by many nearby folks, “The Mall” – and other nicknames as well: Megamall, Sprawl of America, Hugedale.
Here are some stats:
- The MofA has more than 530 stores.
- It has 3 levels on 3 sides of a rectangle, and 4 levels on the 4th side.
- In the middle of the rectangle is Nickelodeon Universe, an indoor theme park with roller coasters and a miniature golf course.
- There is also a sea life aquarium with more than 4,500 creatures.
- There is an exhibit space; right now the exhibit is Barbie: The Dreamhouse Experience, in which guests can try on clothes in Barbie's virtual closet, make virtual cupcakes, and take selfies. There is a make-up studio, fashion runway, pop star stage, and more! Apparently all of the virtual stuff is made more fun by being personalized – guests are given radio-frequency identification (FRID) bracelets to wear inside the exhibit.
Two smaller exhibits are based on Star Trek and CSI.
- The MofA is large enough to fit SEVEN Yankee Stadiums inside!!
- Lights and people produce so much warmth that most of the mall doesn't need to be heated even during the winter. As a matter of fact, some winter days require air conditioning to keep shoppers comfortable!!
- The MofA is located where the Metropolitan Stadium used to be – that is where baseball teams used to play. There is a plaque that marks where home plate used to be, and one of the seats from Met Stadium was kept and is located in the exact place where it used to be in the stadium. That spot marks the place where Harmon Killebrew's 520-foot home run landed, in 1967.
In case you were wondering, the largest shopping malls in the world can be found in China (#1 and #2, of course), the Philippines (#3, #4, #8, AND #11!), Iran (#5 and #7), Malaysia (#6), Thailand (#9), and Turkey (#10).
Also on this date:
Check out my Pinterest boards for:
And here are my Pinterest boards for: