March 16 - Anniversary of the Greatest Rainfall in 24 Hours

 Posted on March 16, 2021

This is an update of my post published on March 16, 2010:


On this date in 1952, a record was set for the most rainfall in 24 hours.

The “lucky” recipient of suc
h bounty? Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, which received 73.6 inches or 1,869.9 mm of rain in just one day!

Yikes!

Translate that to feet or centimeters/meters to fully grasp just how much rain that is!

Reunion Island is shown here, at left.








Is it raining today?

Here are some activities to do in the rain - you don't want to miss racing Gators in the Gutters, do you?


Learn about rain
, courtesy of the Weather Dude.





Make a 
rain gauge.


Rain is just one part of the 
Water Cycle. Learn more about the water cycle here.


If you live in the U.S., check out the Precipitation Analysis website
You can see how much rainfall has fallen in the last week, month, and year (see "Time Range") for the whole U.S. or, close-up, just your state, plus see the percentage above or below normal, plus more.



Write a poem about rain.

First, read these poems for inspiration:

Spring Rain
by Matsuo Basho


Spring rain
leaking through the roof

dripping from the wasps' nest.
Morning Rain
by Tu Fu


A slight rain comes,
bathed in dawn light.

I hear it among treetop leaves before mist
Arrives. Soon it sprinkles the soil and,

Windblown, follows clouds away. Deepened


Colors grace thatch homes for a moment.

Flocks and herds of things wild glisten

Faintly. Then the scent of musk opens across

Half a mountain -- and lingers on past noon.
 


Puddles
by Brenda Williams

Big puddles,
Small puddles,
Puddles in the lane.
Puddles on the footpath,
Puddles near the drain.

Shiny puddles,
Muddy puddles,
Puddles that grow.
Winter puddles,
Icy puddles,
Puddles of snow.

Spring puddles,
Summer puddles,
Puddles on the grass. 
Squashy puddles,
Sploshy puddles,
Puddles to splash!


 

Rain
by Shel Silverstein


I opened my eyes

And looked up at the rain,

And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,

And all that I hear as I lie in my bed

Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.

I step very softly,
I walk very slow,

I can't do a handstand--

I might overflow,

So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--

I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.


 

Also on this date:
























































No Selfies Day







No comments:

Post a Comment