November 22 - Happy Birthday, Jamie Lee Curtis

Posted on November 22, 2018


Today's famous birthday is famous because of her acting.

Actually, she was pretty famous even as a kid - even as a baby! - because her parents were both movie stars! 

Her father was Tony Curtis, and her mother was Janet Leigh.




After her teen years of feeling insecure about who she really was, and just wanting to seem normal and like everyone else, at age 20 Curtis became a "Scream Queen" by starring in the movie Halloween. She ended up making a bunch of other horror movies (and four sequels of Halloween) - but she also appeared in loads of other movies, many huge hits, and on TV shows.

But I want to write about her other career: Jamie Lee Curtis is an author of at least 13 books for kids! (She also writes a blog.) All of these books were illustrated by Laura Cornell.

She has written all sorts of books for kids. Big Words for Little People has such great lines as:

I know some Big Words.I'll teach them to you. Although you are small,you can use Big Words too.
And: 
Of you need some timeTo just be alone,For doing weird dancing,To sit still as stone.
If someone is thereAnd you need to pee,Then say loud and clear, "Hey, I need PRIVACY!"
One of her top-selling books was Today I Feel Silly: And Other Moods That Make My Day



Her latest book is Me, My Selfie, and I: A Cautionary Tale.







One book I want to highlight is This Is Me: A Story of Who We Are and Where We Came From. In the story, a teacher tells her class about her grandmother coming to the U.S., back when she was a child. She was only allowed to bring one small suitcase. The teacher asked the kids what THEY would pack. What, she asked, says "This is me!"

Reading and discussing stories like this can help kids develop empathy for immigrants and can start the kids wondering about their own family's journeying and relocations....their own family's immigration story!

Check out some of Jamie Lee Curtis's words of wisdom:


Born on this date in 1958, Jamie Lee Curtis
is younger than I am. I am so grateful that she
spoke up about aging being a good thing!!





 
Also on this date:
 
Thanksgiving:







No comments:

Post a Comment