Posted on August 29, 2014
Most herbs belong to one of two families:
The Carrot Family
cilantro (aka coriander)
However, let us not forget that onions and garlic (along with chives, shallots, and leeks) are super important flavor providers that sometimes are classified as vegetables and sometimes as spices (garlic powder or onion salt, for example). You can use more of them and less salt, too, as you work to obtain more flavor and better health!
- Start a windowsill herb garden.
- Learn about the best herbs for certain kinds of dishes. For example, seafood is delicious with a blend of fennel, dill, parsley, and tarragon, whereas poultry is especially yummy with a blend of sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg, and black pepper.
Here are some unexpected herb suggestions from Mass Appeal:
- Mix poultry seasoning in with ground beef when making hamburgers.
- Add ginger powder to the yolks when making deviled eggs.
- For a potato salad that has no hardboiled eggs, add lemon zest OR mint to the salad.
Also on this date:
Check out my Pinterest boards for:
And here are my Pinterest boards for: