Posted on August 5, 2016
Rarely have I see such a huge name for a holiday: today Croatia celebrates “Victory and Homeland Thanksgiving Day and the Day of Croatian Defenders.”
You might think it's just a translation problem. Surely the holiday has a shorter name in Croatian, right?
Ummm, not so much: Dan pobjede i domovinske zahvalnosti i Dan hrvatskih branitelja.
The holiday celebrates the military action called Operation Storm; this victory gained independence for Croatia in 1995. It's commonly celebrated with the laying of wreaths on graves, parades, concerts, a flag raising at the Knin fortress.
I have written about wonderful things in Croatia before, but here are a few more things to rave about:
- The medieval hilltop towns of Istria
- The pointed finger of sand on Zlatni Rat Beach
- Roman ruins all over the place, including the port city of Pula
- The caves of the island of Vis
- I've been craving to go see Plitvice Lakes National Park for a long time now...
...but Krka National Park is really gorgeous, too!
Also on this date:
Check out my Pinterest boards for:
And here are my Pinterest boards for: