June 11 - Happy Birthday, Robert Munsch

Posted on June 11, 2018

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be."

So goes the song that Robert Munsch wrote, that parents everywhere and everywhen feel for their kids, that forms the backbone of Munsch's best-selling book, Love You Forever.

Munsch, born on this date in 1945, has also written a whole lot of other books, including The Boy in the Drawer, Angela's Airplane, Thomas' Snowsuit, It's My Room!, Braids!, and Roar!

Like...60 to 70 books! Wow!

My favorite is The Paper Bag Princess.


Even though Munsch was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, in the United States, he is considered Canadian because he has lived in Ontario since 1975. He has earned a LOT of honors and awards for his writing. One unofficial "honor" is that he is the most stolen author at Toronto Public Library! 


I thought it was interesting that Munsch tended to make up stories in front of audiences of kids, and he used exaggerated facial expressions and varied voices as he told these original stories to kids. He would let the kids' reactions to his stories guide the stories' development, allowing the stories to evolve and become better with each retelling. When the stories were ready to be printed in a book, with pictures, they'd already been refined by all of those real-kid reactions!

That's very cool!

(By the way, I'm using past tense as I talk about his method of creating stories because Munsch suffered a stroke and since then has been publishing already-written stories rather than creating new ones. He is, thankfully, still alive.) 



Also on this date:













































Check out my Pinterest boards for:

And here are my Pinterest boards for:

No comments:

Post a Comment