Posted on May 20, 2016
How American is it to eat pizza?
Or...wait! How Italian is it to eat pizza?
Actually, pizza is popular all over the world. China is said to be obsessed with pizza; pizza with olive oil, garlic, onions, basil, parsley, and minced meat is super popular in Turkey; many Japanese people eat pizza at least once a week; “traditional” Russian pizza contains vodka, salmon, tuna, caviar, and dill; pizza is more popular in Germany and the U.K., even, than it is in Italy!
The U.S. is #2 in per capita pizza consumption, and...
I know this is hard to believe!...
Norway is #1!
That means that Norwegians eat more pizza, per person, than anyone else in the world!
|Chinese pizza...does not look like any pizza I've had in the U.S.!|
Here are some stats:
- 100 slices of pizza are eaten in Germany every second!
- 350 slices of pizza are eaten in the United States every second!!
- The average American eats about 6,000 slices of pizza over the course of his or her life!
- Americans eat about 100 acres of pizza every day – 3 billion pizzas every year!
- Pizza is a $30 billion per year industry!
- The world's largest pizza covered 10 thousand square feet and was 140 feet in diameter. It weighed more than 44 thousand pounds!
And here are some important benchmarks in the history of pizza:
Deep dish pizza...
Yum...The word “pizza” is more than a thousand years old.
- The first pizza place in America was in New York City, in the neighborhood called “Little Italy,” in 1905.
- Pizza began to be sold by the slice in 1933; deep dish pizza was first created in 1943; and frozen pizza was first sold in 1962.
Last but not least, here are some fun facts about pizza:
Pizza Hut funded the Proton rocket...
A cosmonaut eating a Pizza Hut pizza...
Or is he just playing with his food?
- In 2013, NASA scientists invented a 3-D printer that could create a pizza in just 70 seconds, spraying on flavor, smell, and nutrients!
- There is a pizza museum in Philadelphia, which has the largest collection of pizza memorabilia in the world; there is an Italian association that makes rules about what qualifies as a true Neapolitan pizza, and certifies the restaurants who comply with those rules; there was a pizza-themed art show in New York City, in 2013.
Also on this date:
Check out my Pinterest boards for:
And here are my Pinterest boards for: