April 12 – Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day


Posted on April 12, 2017

One of the most delicious-but-decadent things I ever eat is a 3-Cheese Monte Cristo - Swiss, mozzarella, and double-cream Brie cheeses in a battered, deep-fried sandwich, dusted with powdered sugar and served with berry purée. 

I mean, it's supposed to be my dinner - but it's such a dessert!

I get it at Café Orleans in Disneyland. Needless to say, I don't get it very often!!!

That's close to a grilled cheese sandwich, but deep frying is not grilling. Luckily for me, since I eat grilled cheese sandwiches far more often than I eat that decadent Monte Cristo, grilling is lower in fat and lower in calories!



Melting cheese on top of bread has been along since at least the time of the Ancient Romans and is common everywhere that cheese and bread exist. (Pizzas and quesadillas are only two of bajillions of examples from various cuisines.) But the common availability of pre-sliced bread made what we think of as a "grilled cheese sandwich" very popular in the 1920s - especially since we can now buy cheese perfectly pre-sliced, as well. 

Making a grilled cheese sandwich is easy - just butter two slices of bread, pop some between the unbuttered sides, and put the whole thing on a skillet or griddle, or in the broiler, or in one of those little sandwich appliances, or even in a waffle iron that has a grilled-sandwich side.

What's your favorite grilled cheese sandwich? Mine is pepperjack cheese on 7-grain bread. Yum-umm!

(But it's not quite as good as the Monte Cristo!)

Here are some other grilled-cheese recipes.


Also on this date:


– aka Cosmonaut Day































Plan ahead:

Check out my Pinterest boards for:
And here are my Pinterest boards for:

No comments:

Post a Comment