August 27 – Happy Birthday, Alexandra Nechita!

Posted August 27, 2013

She is American. She is Romanian.

At age 8, she sold a painting at a local library exhibition for $50. By age 10, her paintings had sold for a total of more than $1 million!

She was a child prodigy who sold paintings to Oprah. And to Bill Clinton. And to rock stars and comedians and the rich and the famous. And she became rich and famous!

As a child, she was self-taught. Now she is a young adult with a degree in fine art from UCLA.

She has been called the Petite Picasso, and her artwork has been compared to Picasso, Chagall, Klee, and other masters. She is also an original.

Today Alexandra Nechita turns 28. Her father escaped from Communist Romania shortly after she was born, and she and her mom were finally allowed to join him in the U.S. two years later. She grew up in Southern California, in a town really close to where I live.

And she has long hair. I mention that because I first encountered a print of one of Nechita's paintings while on vacation, and as I stared at the piece, it started to make sense to me. I looked at the painting's title: Buckets of Detangler. Oh, yes, she was speaking my language!








Nechita and cubism...

Learn about Nechita here

Learn about cubism here

Check out Nechita's paintings here


Also on this date:


 The Duchess” Who Wasn't Day 















Plan ahead:

Here are my Pinterest pages on August holidayshistorical anniversaries in August, and August birthdays.



No comments:

Post a Comment