April 28, 2012 - Anniversary of Maryland's Statehood


On this date in 1788, Maryland became the seventh state to ratify the Constitution of the United States of America.

The document most Americans honor so much, the Constitution, was a matter of great debate when it was first written, while it was waiting to be ratified by the 13 colonies-turned-states. There were discussions and arguments among the general public as well as behind closed doors in the state conventions. A lot of people were not happy with the Constitution as written. Some even wanted a whole bunch of amendments put in right away! (Yeah. They're called the Bill of Rights, and they're very good ideas!) In New York state, two-thirds of the delegates were against ratification—at first, that is, because New York did eventually ratify.



Here is the story of those ratification debates.

Here is the order of the ratification of the Constitution. Can you guess what states make up the list by looking at just the vowels?

1. ___ E ___ A ___ A ___ E

2. ___ E ___ ___ ___ Y ___ ___ A ___ I A

3. ___ E ___ ___ E ___ ___ E Y

4. ___ E O ___ ___ I A

5. ___ O ___ ___ E ___ ___ I ___ U ___

6. ___ A ___ ___ A ___ ___ U ___ E ___ ___ ___

7. ___ A ___ Y ___ A ___ ___

8. ___ O U ___ ___ ___ A ___ O ___ I ___ A

9. ___ E ___ ___ A ___ ___ ___ ___ I ___ E

10. ___ I ___ ___ I ___ I A

11. ___ E ___ Y O ___ ___

12. ___ O ___ ___ ___ ___ A ___ O ___ I ___ A

13. ___ ___ O ___ E I ___ ___ A ___ ___

Hints below.
Answers even farther below.

HINTS: The beginning letters of the states, in order, are:
  1. D
  2. P
  3. N J
  4. G
  5. C
  6. M
  7. M
  8. S C
  9. N H
  10. V
  11. NY
  12. NC
  13. RI


Animaniacs Sing!

A few days ago I linked to the Animaniacs' “Nations of the World” song. Here is Wakko's State Capitals song!



ANSWERS:
  1. Delaware
  2. Pennsylvania
  3. New Jersey
  4. Georgia
  5. Connecticut
  6. Massachusetts
  7. Maryland
  8. South Carolina
  9. New Hampshire
  10. Virginia
  11. New York
  12. North Carolina
  13. Rhode Island

Also on this date:




No comments:

Post a Comment