|A fork in the road...|
A pun is a joke that relies on wordplay – words that sound the same but are spelled differently (homonyms), words that have more than one meaning, or idioms (phrases that are not literal).
For some reason, puns are often treated as a lower grade of humor than other jokes, and people often groan when they hear them. But today we elevate and celebrate the lowly pun!
Here are some puns to get you started:
- A man drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.
- Police were called to a daycare where a three-year-old was resisting a rest.
- I couldn’t quite remember how to throw a boomerang, but eventually it came back to me.
- Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft and I’ll show you A-flat minor.
- To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
- A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was, a nurse said, ‘No change yet.’
- Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
|Don't you hate when your mouse gets caught in a trap?|
Make, create, enjoy...
Can you write your own pun?
How about making an illustrated pun collection as a gift for someone?
The above puns come from the website “Pun of the Day.” There are plenty more where they came from! For example, click “Funniest Puns and Jokes.”
Here are two more:
Q: What do you call a fish with no eyes?
A: A fsh.
Sign at a toy store display:
Don't feed the animals. They are already stuffed.