Posted on January 19, 2017
What do the following women have in common?
- Makoto Kawamoto
- Janis Joplin
- Hikaru Utada
- Dolly Parton
You may know some of these names, but even if you don't, you may figure out that they are all singers, because I called today “Singing Singers Day.”
The four women were all born on January 19, too!
Makoto Kawamoto is a Japanese pop singer who currently performs under the name Tiger Fake Fur.
Janis Joplin was a powerful and popular American singer during the 1960s. She was famous for her raw rock songs. Sadly, she died way too young.
Hikaru Utada is a Japanese American singer. Her English-language album and songs have enjoyed mixed success, but her Japanese-language albums have met with much greater success. She is one of the best-selling music artists in Japan!
Dolly Parton is an American country music star.
Here are some more things these four musicians have in common:
In addition to vocals, all four women play instruments:
- Makoto Kawamoto plays piano, flute, guitar, and keyboard.
- Janis Joplin played guitar.
- Utada Hibaru plays guitar, piano, and synthesizer.
- Dolly Parton plays banjo and guitar.
All four women are (were) songwriters as well as singers. Parton and Hibaru both have “record producer” credits, too.
Here is a sample of each of our January 19 birthdays' music:
- Makoto Kawamoto's “One Half”
- My favorite Janis Joplin song is “Piece of My Heart”
- Utada Hikaru's huge hit “First Love”
- Dolly Parton's “Coat of Many Colors”
Also on this date:
Check out my Pinterest pages on:
And here are my Pinterest boards for: