French Scientist Day
Today is the birthday of these French scientists:
Rene-Antoine Ferchault de Reaumur (1683) – entomology
Louis Godin (1704) – astronomy
Rene-Just Hauy (1743) – mineralogy
Edmond Fremy (1814) – chemistry
Henri-Edouard-Prosper Breuil (1877) – archeology
Pierre Fatou (1878) – mathematics
Which of these fine gentlemen from the 1600s to the 1800s, do you think, did each achievement?
- Who is most known for discovering a salt that acts to promote oxidation?
- Who went to Peru to help take measurements to determine the size and shape of the earth?
- Who studied the relationship between the growth of insects and temperature?
- Who is noted for his studies of cave art?
- Who accidentally discovered the geometrical law of crystallization when he dropped some calcite?
- Who studied iterative and recursive processes?
ANSWERS: 1.Fremy – 2.Godin – 3.Reaumur – 4.Breuil – 5.Hauy – 6.Fatou