Happy Birthday, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
A great day for American authors!
Separated by about a century, today marks the anniversary of Longfellow's 1807 birth and Steinbeck's 1902 birth.
Can you pick out which of these fits Longfellow and which fits Steinbeck?
- Wrote The Song of Hiawatha
- Author of Paul Revere's Ride
- Wrote Of Mice and Men
- Won the Nobel Prize for Literature
- Was born in Portland, Maine
- Translated Dante's Divine Comedy
- Wrote long poems
- Wrote brilliant novels
- Was born in Salinas, California
- Won a Pulitzer Prize
- Was a professor at Harvard
ANSWERS: 1.Steinbeck – 2.Longfellow – 3.Longfellow – 4.Steinbeck – 5.Steinbeck – 6.Longfellow – 7.Longfellow – 8.Longfellow – 9.Steinbeck – 10.Steinbeck – 11.Steinbeck – 12. Longfellow
- Listen to this short poem by Longfellow, “The Children's Hour.”
- One reason some people like Longfellow's poems is because they are like songs. Check out this video: someone is actually singing an excerpt of his poem “The Song of Hiawatha.”
- Read a short story by Steinbeck, or even one of his novels. Several of his books, including Cannery Row and East of Eden, have become movies (both rated PG).