September 27 - National Scarf Day

Posted on September 27, 2019

I am not a big accessorizer. I am far from a fashionista. I admire those who do well with these things - and, man, can some of these people rock a scarf!





Also, I am not big on scarves for warmth, because I live in Southern California. I have been, over the years, given a certain number of scarves - some handmade - and I have appreciated and used them...But rarely. During day trips to the snow. During occasional week-long vacations in chilly places.

BUT!

Recently I went to Iceland. And I meant to pack scarves. I remembered to pack multiple pairs of thick socks, long underwear, especially warm layers, gloves, and hats - but I forgot to go down to the downstairs closet and unearth my perfectly warm,  seldom-worn scarves.

My husband, influenced by my own packing, perhaps, also forgot to take any scarves!

We regretted that slip-up so much. When we realized that we'd blown it, we decided to buy a scarf or two in Iceland, but we never spotted a scarf that wasn't a beautiful artisan product made from native wool - by which I mean that we never spotted a scarf that wasn't really, really expensive!

Why, with all of our layers and warm clothes, did we wish we also had a few scarves? Because you can wrap up part of your face and all of your neck and especially your EARS with a scarf - and it's not so easy to replicate that extra-wrapping-for-warmth without a scarf!



No comments:

Post a Comment